|*This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase using one of the links, I will receive a small commission. There will be no additional cost to you.|
I have been trying to perfect my smoothie recipe for years. I mostly eat vegetarian, so I want to be able to pack in as much protein as possible for days when I might not get enough.
This recipe is perfect for me – it’s simple, tastes good (no banana!), and even without the protein powder it still provides a good amount of protein. Sometimes if I have iced coffee in the fridge, I replace part of the almond milk with that.
- handful of dry oats
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (I like Isopure Zero Carb, Unflavored)
- about 1 cup chocolate almond milk (or regular milk, or soymilk, whatever)
- 1 spoonful peanut butter
- 2 spoonfuls cottage cheese
- up to 1/4 cup baked or steamed sweet potato
- 3 or 4 ice cubes
Add oats to blender and grind for a few seconds to break them down. Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth. (You’ll want to let it go until you don’t see large chunks of oats swirling around, it’s better if they’re good and broken down.)
- I usually bake 3-4 whole sweet potatoes at once, then once they cool I scoop them out of their skins & into plastic containers to store in the freezer.
- I use chocolate almond milk because I always have it around, but unsweetened would probably be healthier. 😉 It would still have a chocolate flavor from the cocoa powder.