Here is a tutorial for a homemade cat toy that my cat absolutely loves. It’s simple to make, cheap, and durable (to withstand those vicious attacks!). The idea came from some wool dryer balls that I made a few years ago – once kitty found them….I think it’s needless to say they belong to her now. But I wanted one jumbo one that she could really sink her teeth and claws into, so I made a new one just for her.
All you really need is 100% wool yarn in any color. I used Patons Classic Wool in “New Denim.” I also had some of these lattice-style jingle balls laying around that don’t get a lot of play on their own so I used one as the core, but it’s not necessary.
All you really need to do is start wrapping the yarn around the ball, every which way, until it’s covered. Don’t worry about it being uneven or lumpy, it will smooth out pretty well on its own. Keep wrapping, and wrapping, and wrapping until all the yarn is gone. (Preferably do this while your cat is in a very deep sleep in a far corner of the house, or she will make it a lot more complicated.)
Tuck the end of the yarn under somewhere to secure it. I wrapped with a couple of rubber bands just to make sure everything would stay tight.
Next, it’s going to go in the washing machine, so stick it inside an old nylon sock or pantyhose. I didn’t have either, so I used my mesh laundry bag and secured the top with a rubber band.
Throw it in the washer with a load of laundry and wash on hot (I put mine in with a load of towels). The hot water, detergent, and friction in the washer will work its magic and felt the ball into one solid piece so it won’t come unraveled.
Remove the rubber bands if you used them, and run the ball through the dryer with the rest of the laundry. It should come out fairly smooth and sturdy, but if it seems like it needs more help, run it through the laundry a second time.
That’s it! You can rub a little catnip on it to get your cat’s attention. I like it because it’s big enough to bite and kick at the same time – and my cat loves to kick!
Here are some other items my cat wishes she had, or already has and loves!
|*This post contains affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase using one of the links, I will receive a small commission. There will be no additional cost to you.
- *Mad Scientist Toy for Cats – I think it would be super entertaining to watch my cat figure this one out – anything for a treat!
- *Our Pets Play-N-Treat Ball – I have these and my cat loves pushing them all over the house with her nose until the treats come out – we use it almost every day.
- *SmartCat Peek-a-Prize Toy Box – It’s like a puzzle for cats! I think my cat would love trying to fish all the different toys out of the box.
- *Bergan Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy – I think this will be the next one I get – simple, but entertaining (and it has good reviews).
- *TRIXIE Pet Products Parla Scratching Post – We have this also and it has been great – it can really take a beating and doesn’t tip over easily (plus the price can’t be beat!)
Please follow and like us: